Helpful Hints for RGP Contact Lens Success
Contact lenses are very safe when worn and cared for properly. The following are recommendations for long term
contact lens success.
- Always wash your hands prior to handling your lenses.
- Only use new or cleaned, disinfected lenses.
- Always remove and insert the same lens first to avoid mixing the left and right lenses.
- Replace your lenses as prescribed by your Doctor to prevent any problems from occurring. We cannot stress enough
how important it is to avoid overusing your lenses. By the time they start to feel uncomfortable, the damage has
been done to your eye health.
- Handle your lenses with your fingertips, avoid using your fingernails.
- Never use a torn or chipped lens.
- Never, ever share your lenses with others. Very serious infections can occur.
- Never sleep with your lenses in unless your Doctor says it is safe to do so.
- Use the solutions recommended by your Doctor.
- Always store your lenses in fresh solution. Never reuse or top off solution.
- Clean your contact lens case with water daily and let dry before reuse. Replace your case about every 3 months.
- Always keep the cap on your solution bottle when not in use.
- Have your eyes examined every year to ensure overall eye health.
- Keep all scheduled follow-up visits.
- Always have a pair of glasses with your current prescription available for unexpected situations and to routinely rest
- If you use make-up, use water-based make-up and apply after inserting your lenses.
- Swimming or showering with contacts is risky. Keeping your eyes closed while under water may or may not be
adequate. Water tight goggles may be helpful.
- If you develop unusual pain, irritation or discharge, remove your lenses and contact our office.